Getting Things Done in the Kitchen

Before my accident I used to cook most of the family meals. After I got hurt I still wanted to continue. My pain had different ideas. within a few minutes in the kitchen my legs start to buckle, my back screams, my head pounds, my arms go weak and my fingers no longer have their coordination. Even before I became a walking behemoth it was hard. Now that I am extremely heavy the condition is obviously worse.

My family compensated. I used to have plenty of frozen meals, instant foods, and take out (when our budget allowed). Not the best diet for growing bodies. Unless you want them growing wide instead of tall.

Raise & Lower with ease
My 70 year old Father & his loving wife gave me a Christmas gift 5 years ago that has turned around my ability to do things in the kitchen. What did they do? They found a used office chair that had good casters and a trigger that allows me to raise and lower the seat. I can get high enough to cut veggies and low enough to reach some things from the lower shelves with minimal bending. It was like a new lease on life. I could actually fix a few simple things without completely collapsing.

I'm not up to French Souffle level yet but over time I have increased my endurance and modified some methods so I can make muffins, eggs, simple diners. etc. Who knows, in a few years I might be able to build a space shuttle out of celery.

Here is a link to a video showing you this delightful gift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKmSIJCYPw


This is too tall for me and has no wheels
One of the hardest things for me is asking someone else to cook for me or take care of my needs. Clearly, in my situation I end up making the requests. But when I get to cook some of the time, or load dishes into the Dishwasher I feel more self sufficient. Using the chair I am able to accomplish more before I am sweating up a storm and feeling like smashing everything in my sight.  My goal is to never let my pain do the talking, with this chair I get more done and the pain is reduced to whispers.

No comments:

Post a Comment